Smithtown, Long Island, Train Station

HOME
Land Introduction
More Smithtown Images
St James, Long Island Photos

Smithtown, Long Island, Train Station


The Railroad Station

Railroad service arrived in Smithtown in 1873. Before that the means of transport to New York City was sailing ship, horse or foot. By 1900 there were nine trains daily to the city.


Postcard collection of Tom Muratore

This lovely old postcard of the Smithtown Train depot was shared by Tom Muratore, January 2007 who wrote:

L.I.R.R. Depot, Smithtown. It is postmarked, Smithtown Branch, Oct, 1909. It states, "Cousin John and family Just a line to let you know that we are all well and hope you are the same. Have you heard from Uncle Colman lately Frank"

Postcard collection of Tom Muratore


Smithtown, L. I.
R. R. Station

Posted 1907

Postcard collection of Maggie Land Blanck


Smithtown Rail Road Station, Smithtown L. I.

Photo collection of Maggie Land Blanck

Postcard collection of Tom Muratore

In January 2006 Tom Muratore graciously shared several postcard images including this one of the Smithtown train station.


1935 Smithtown/Pennsylvania Station NYC Train Schedule

Courtesy of Tom Muratore.

See 1935 Train Schedule


To see more images Smithtown go to Smithtown

To see images of the St James Long Island ( a part of the township os Smithtown) go to St James, Long Island

To see other images of the Long Island go to Long Island

To see images of the Hauppauge, Long Island go to Hauppauge, Long Island

To see images of the Central Islip, Long Island go to Central Islip, Long Island

1935 Smithtown/Pennsylvania Station NYC Train Schedule

Courtesy of Tom Muratore.

See 1935 Train Schedule


Trainor's Hotel

Next to the train station on Main street, was the Trainor Hotel owned by John Trainor. It can perhaps be glimpsed behind the trees in the 1907 postcard image above. The hotel burned to the ground in 1909.

In August 1892 John Trainor muzzled his immense dog who was frightening passers by.

By the spring of 1893 Trainor's hotel was already a popular resort for anglers - drawing men from Brooklyn and Manhattan for the trout fishing.

In October 1893 10 former employees of Mr. Russett came to Smithtown to decorate his grave. They were wined and dined so well at the Trainor hotel that nine of them missed the train back to the city and were forced to spend the night.

John Trainor was the proprietor of the Trainor Hotel in Smithtown in 1894 when he was mentioned in Forest & Stream Volume 43. He was also mentioned in March as J. H. Trainor, the proprietor of a popular Smithtown fishing resort, who hosted a 4 o'clock breakfast to "jolly party of anglers" at the start of trout season.

In June 1896 a meeting was held at the Trainor Hotel in Smithtown regarding a suit to take place in Brooklyn for the false arrests and destroying of nets used in shad fishing in the Nessequogue River.

John H Trainor of Smithtown "Near Railroad Station" held a liquor license in 1898 (Directory of liquor tax certificate holders)

The 1900 Federal Census listed on Main street in Smithtown: John N Trainor 39, born Ireland, hotel keeper, Catherine Trainor 28, 4 children 3 living, James Trainor 6, son, Mary Trainor 4, daughter, Catherine Trainor 6/12, daughter, Philip Mcgenity 42, brother in law, assistant at hotel, Rose Mcgenity 30, sister in law, Ellen Conway 32, servant, cook, Herbert Brunba 45 hostler

Mrs. Trainor of Smithtown Branch died August 19, 1901. She left her husband John and two small children. She was buried in the Catholic Cemetery.

In June 1902 a young engaged couple found themselves stranded in Smithtown after the last train left for New York. Miss Florence Anne Wigton, an 18 year old blond, and her fiance, William H Feldtman, an employee in a linen store in Brooklyn and the manager of a baseball team who had come to play in Smithtown, were engaged to be married on August 6th. The Trainor hotel refused to let a room for the night to the still single Miss Wigton. So the couple eloped and were quickly married by a local justice of the peace. Having proven their marriage they were granted a room for the night.

"James" Trainor owned the land near the Smithtown train station in 1904.

On December 65, 1909 a disastrous fire occurred at 1 A. M. at the Trainor Hotel. The blaze originated in the barn and was quickly spread by the high winds to the hotel. Due to a shortage of stored water the fire department could do little more than protect the nearby train station building, a lumber yard and a sawmill. No mention was made of injury or loss of life in any of the news stories covering the event.

The damage was estimated at $20,000 with partial insurance coverage.

The 1910 Federal Census listed on Main street in Smithtown: John H Trainor 51, widow, hotel proprietor, born Ireland, James B Trainor 17, apprentice plumber.

"James Trainor and wife" transfered property near the Smithtown R.R. to Maurice E. Hodgekinson, Main County road adj. land of the L. I. R. R. co. Smithtown in November 1911.

In 1910 Maurice E. Hodgkinson, age 40 grain dealer, and his wife, Addie age 39, and sons George 17 and Carlyle age 9 were listed in the census a few families away from the Trainors.

James Trainor, son of John and Catherine, was born September 1893 according to the 1900 census. He was a plumbers apprentice in 1910.

In 1911 George Morsing was beginning the construction of a large fire proof brick building to be used as a butcher shop and general store.

In December 1913 George Morsing and ex-Postmaster Howard M Brush planned to open a grocery store in a newly erected brick building near the train station at the site of the former "James" Trainor Hotel which had been destroyed by fire.

The 1915 census listed on Bellmead ave near Main street, (no house number) Howard M Brush 32, grocer, Myra F Brush 32, wiffe, Howard M Brush 6, son, Elizabeth Wherler 60, mother in law, Beatice L Wherler 23, sister in law, Geo Morsing 30, partner, born Denmark grocer

Howard M Brush was the Smithtown post master for many years.


"Charlie" Karl Henry Klein (c 1864-1933)

March 1, 1933 Karl Henry Klein, age 69 and a part owner of the Smithtown Hotel on Main street Smithtown Branch, was worried about financial difficulties and possible indictment for prohibition violations. Klein committed suicide. He shot himself in the head in his bedroom on the southeast corner of the second floor of the Hotel. He had a wife, Pauline, and several children on South First in Lindenhurst. Klein owned the hotel with John L "Bour" (Bauer).

Several weeks before the suicide Klein had been raided by "dry" agents. His hotel was padlocked and he was held on $1,000 bail until a hearing in Brooklyn.

According to the news reports Klein had been a baker and had later run several successful restaurants on Long Island. He had two children by his first marriage. After the death of his first wife he married Pauline Seegott, who was also widowed with four children.

Prohibition ended December 1933.

In July 1931 two young men robbed "Henry Klein" one of the proprietors of the Smithtown Hotel on Jericho Turnpike "just west of the station". The robbery occurred about 11:30 on Sunday evening. Klein was alone at the time. The two men took $140 from the till and left in a car. Klein felt he had seen the men before but could not identify them.

In December 1931 Edmund Fauchot of the Bronx was one of five men who posed as Federal prohibition agents in a shake down attempt aimed at John Baur the owner of the Smithtown Hotel. They were demanding $200. Fauchet was found guilty and sentenced to not less than nor more than thirty years in prison.

In 1937 Louis Seegott of Smithtown Branch, one of the proprietors of the Smithtown Hotel, married Dorothy Map Carpenter of Amityville. Louis was the son of Mrs. Pauline Klein.

In 1938 a licence was given to Pauline Klein and Fredrick W. Becht to sell beer, wines and liquors at retail to be consumed on the premises of the Smithtown Hotel, at Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown Branch

In 1940 Pauline Klein of Lindenhurst was still associated with the Smithtown Hotel.

Pauline Klein was listed in the 1940 census on Main street, near the Rail Road station: Smithtown, "Pouline Kline" 66, widowed, proprietor hotel, Frederick Wm Becht 47, "son", proprietor hotel, Elector Becht 54, daughter in law, William G Bochl 16, grand nephew, Peter Maier 42, employee, bartender, value of property $25,000.

Pauline Klein was also granted a liquor licence in 1945.

Pauline Klein died in 1956 and was buried in Breslau Cemetery North Lindenhurst plot section 2

Pauline Seegott was listed in the 1910 census in Babylon: Louis Sugott 49, house carpenter, Pauline Sugott 39, 6 children 5 living, Louis Sugott 4, son, Sussana Sugott 2, daughter, Martha Becht 19, son, Fred Becht 17, apprentice carpenter, Wanda Becht 8, daughter, Sophia Reiser 68, mother in law

They were also listed in Babylon in the 1920 census.

Louis Seegott died in 1923. He was buried in Breslau Cemetery North Lindenhurst plot section 2.

Karl Klein age 64 of 297 Stagg st Brooklyn married Pauline Seegott age 55 of the same address February 8, 1928.

In 1900 Pauline was listed in Babylon with her then husband John Becht: John Becht 35, farm laborer, Pauline Becht 28, Martha Becht 9, Frederick Becht 7, Sophia Meyer 57, mother

Karl Klein age 64 of 297 Stagg st Brooklyn married Pauline Seegott age 55 of the same address February 8, 1928.


If you have any suggestions, corrections, information, copies of documents, or photos that you would like to share with this page, please contact me at maggie@maggieblanck.com

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
HOME
Land Introduction
Law Land and Elizabeth Sykes
Percy Land and Meta Petermann Land
Long Island Maps
St James, Long Island Photos
Central Islip, Long Island Photos
Percy Land and Meta Petermann Land's house on North Country Road.